What can your EAP do for you?
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a resource for employees to get answers to all-kinds of issues related to their personal and professional lives, such as:
- Work/life balance
- Elderly Care
- Grief and loss
- Work-related issues
“Our leadership advises DND employees and their families to utilize these fantastic tools and resources available through the Employee Assistance Program intranet page (internal) and by accessing the expansive video library offered through our participation with LifeSpeak.” – EAP Champion, Julie Charron.
Each year, the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction organizes National Addictions Awareness Week (NAAW), a campaign that highlights issues and solutions to help address alcohol and substance related harm. In 2019, NAAW will take place from November 25 to December 1st. This month’s featured LifeSpeak video is: Addiction 101 by Dr. Ray Baker (LifeSpeak log-in information below). This video highlights the substances most typically associated with addiction, as well as ways to prevent, treat and recover from these afflictions.
The Department of National Defence (DND) values the mental health and well-being of employees and military members. It provides access to programs, such as the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Canadian Forces Member Assistance Program (MAP) to provide support during difficult times.
The programs provide a confidential, voluntary and neutral service available to Defence Team members and their immediate family members who may be dealing with personal or professional issues affecting their well-being.
DND Civilian employees have access to:
- Referral Agents (RA)s—DND employees provide confidential active-listening skills and resources to employees in need and can be contacted during regular working hours. Defence Team members have access to:
- Health Canada – Employee Assistance Services (EAS)—provides short-term professional counselling services. This service is available 24/7, 365 days a year, by calling 1-800-268-7708 or 1-800-567-5803 (hearing impaired)
- LifeSpeak—a web-based service that offers free confidential access to hundreds of short videos by experts on everyday issues. To access LifeSpeak:
- Visit lifespeak.com or download the app.
- Select Canadian Armed Forces or Department of National Defence (Civilian) and input corporate ID: canada.
- Mental Health Resources: